1. Talk Floods is a brand new Restoration Forum for Professional business owners that service Water Damage, Fire Damage, Mold Remediation and other restoration services.

Talk Floods is a NEW FORUM and offers the following:

• Free Classifieds Buy/Sell/Trade Restoration Equipment
    • Marketing & Advertising Techniques
    • Managing a Restoration Business
    • All types of Restoration Topics
    • And much more to come

**IMPORTANT!! IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A TRUCKMOUNTFORUMS.COM ACCOUNT, THEN YOU CAN USE THAT TO LOGIN HERE**

ps:...All new users who sign up and create 100+ posts will receive FREE Do-Follow Backlinks & able to Sell in the classifieds at no cost for a lifetime.

Dismiss Notice

Just starting

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by Brad Roberts, May 1, 2016.

1. Brad Roberts

Brad Roberts New Member

I am going through the process of starting my own restoration company. I am taking the WRT and structural drying class in the next couple of weeks. Along with FRST class next month. I am going to take some online Xactimate classes as well. My intent is to purchase a couple of LGR humidifiers as well as about 10 air movers, and extractor and the Nav Pro/RP meter. Is this enough stuff to start out and am I going in the right direction??? I am reading all that I can and I currently work in construction industry and have had the opportunity to do walk throughs on some house fire projects with some subs to get a feel for that part of the industry.
    My questions are:
    Is this enough equipment, enough initial training (I want to be as prepared as possible prior to opening); and as far as equipment is concerned are the Bluedri packages okay to start out or do I need to stick with Drieaz, Viking and/or Phoenix from the get go?

I am looking forward to your responses and hopefully someone that has gone through this would be willing to reach out and help me avoid some pit falls.

Thanks
    -Brad

2. TheRemediator

TheRemediator New Member

Brad,

Good luck in your business and I hope that you find much success.

2 dehu + 10 am will get you through a small residential loss total of about $2500-$4500 depending on demo. This loss would be like a bath overflow that ran to the crawlspace, where you have to float the carpet in the hallway, dehu in bath/hall and dehu and AM in crawl. You should have in your water kit the minimum: laser distance measure, hygrometer, non-pen moisture meter, pen moisture meter, laser temp measure, circuit breaker checker, voltage tester, lead paint tester, baggies for samples, staple gun/staples, headlamp, batteries, blue painters tape, then you should have your tool tote/bag with the rest of your tools.

Always establish how you are going to document your job file and paperwork. You need atmospheric readings, moisture content readings, sketches with moisture maps, equipment sheets and of course authorization forms.

Please research heat drying systems, that is the science of effective drying, drying in-place and completing jobs quicker. You need to know the surface temperature of a material to know how to efficiently dry it.