Explain Cat 1,2 & 3 water damage in one paragraph each…(Contest)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
  • Talk Floods is a brand new Restoration Forum for Professional business owners that service Water Damage, Fire Damage, Mold Remediation and other restoration services.

Talk Floods is a NEW FORUM and offers the following:

• Free Classifieds Buy/Sell/Trade Restoration Equipment
    • Marketing & Advertising Techniques
    • Managing a Restoration Business
    • All types of Restoration Topics
    • And much more to come

**IMPORTANT!! IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A TRUCKMOUNTFORUMS.COM ACCOUNT, THEN YOU CAN USE THAT TO LOGIN HERE**

ps:...All new users who sign up and create 100+ posts will receive FREE Do-Follow Backlinks & able to Sell in the classifieds at no cost for a lifetime.

Benji

Feb 19, 2015
What category would you call water from a water pipe under the slab that has pushed silt and soil into the house?

Victoriano

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2014
Spain
www.secadodobras.es
Feb 16, 2016
Get ready for an award winning post, based on real experience of over 10,000 jobs from large commercial losses to extremely small losses. Some of the preceding users may disagree with some or all I'm gonna say but it's not gonna be regurgitated from the IICRC S500 booklet. Like I said everything I'm gonna say is based in reality and not necessarily what a newbie would learn by sitting in a classroom. Rob prepare to make this a sticky ;)

CATEGORY ONE water losses originate from a clean water source that affects A CLEAN NEAT AND TIDY HOME. For example if a basement supply line leaks the water travels through the dog poop on the floor that the homeowners were too lazy to pick up, is that a cat 1 loss? How clean were the floors that got affected by the "clean water"? There is more to determining the category of the loss besides where the water originated from.

CATEGORY TWO water losses are approximately 75% of all losses based on my experience. Cat 2 losses include sump pump failures, toilet overflows, dishwasher discharge, and washing machine overflows just to name a few. But like others have mentioned category 1 losses can and usually do degrade to a cat 2 loss. Again look beyond where the water originated from because other factors including indoor temperatures, air circulation, and cleanliness of the indoor structure help determine what category of water you are dealing with. Cat 2 water losses usually require a disinfectant to be applied to affected surfaces.

CATEGORY THREE water losses are grossly contaminated and require the use of PPE ( personal protective equipment ) and an AFD ( air filtration device ). Cat 3 losses require removal of contaminated porous building materials such as drywall, carpet, carpet cushion etc. although for the life of me I can't understand why you don't have to remove wood structural members?? Different topic for different day. Cat 3 losses usually require HWE ( hot water extraction ) and the use of a disinfectant on affected surfaces.

CATEGORY FOUR water losses are specialty losses that if you are a newbie and you're dealing with this then I assure you that you are incapable of handling this and you should exit stage left. And yes for you other responders there is a category 4. Category 4 losses are water losses that are mixed with fuel oils, oil or any other "out of the ordinary" chemical that is mixed into the water. These losses require environmental waste hauling companies. After removal of chemically contaminated water the loss is treated like a category 3 loss but requires MUCH more cleaning after removal of contaminated building materials.

In conclusion the IICRC S500 guide for water damage restoration is just that, A GUIDE. Usually it is a minimum guideline to be followed. For example in construction building codes are a minimum guideline. The best builders go way above and beyond minimum guidelines as do the best water damage restoration companies. Before everyone asks yes I am a licensed builder in the state of Michigan and just had to do 21 hours of CE ( continuing education ) credits to maintain my licensed status. I am a master water damage restorer, master fire damage restorer, and journeyman textile cleaner. IICRC registrant ID 118542.

Thank you for explaining this for everyone on here. Finally someone that understands that is doesn't matter what it was from If contamination affected the source water. You need to post this everywhere so the uneducated know whats the real situations.

Your category of water is a technicality, the reason being that the insurance companies would like you to believe that the category comes from within the sudden burst, example being that if your water supply line to your kitchen sink breaks that is only a category 1. Meaning clear water and drinking would create a sudden discomfort to the human body and so on and so fourth. Now the reason we believe this is a technicality is as a water mitigation expert company Dry Pros will come to your home to find you have had a sudden burst in your toilet water supply line, which tells the insurance company clean water, however after your demolition of the vinyl and underlayment you have found there to a break within the wax ring or flange of the toilet causing cross-contamination between the supply line water and the water from the passive system on the toilet drain pipe switch a category 1 contamination to now a category 3 black water or sewage contamination with a high possibility of microbial growth within the subflooring and underneath. Now that we have determined the water at category 3 this meaning that the consumption of the water to the human body could involve possible death or deem your body to be hospitalized. Sorry for skipping over 2, but to be frankly honest as well our company has never determined a category of loss to be a 1, we have simply put it into perspective that the water has penetrated affected materials causing a category 2 which means in the water restoration industry if the water category 2 consumed by humans will cause illness and your body would be need of possible medical attention.

Thank you all who have read our detailed information in regards to water categories and explanation.

Three categories of water damage are:: clean, grey and black.
Clean:: Covers normal damages like pipe burst , roof leakage. Cleaning water from the house.
Greay:: Cleaning contaminated water that has been left untreated for some period.
Black:: The most hazardous type of flood damage. Damage from natural disaster or sewage damage. Contains the most toxic water.

Feb 20, 2016
Get ready for an award winning post, based on real experience of over 10,000 jobs from large commercial losses to extremely small losses. Some of the preceding users may disagree with some or all I'm gonna say but it's not gonna be regurgitated from the IICRC S500 booklet. Like I said everything I'm gonna say is based in reality and not necessarily what a newbie would learn by sitting in a classroom. Rob prepare to make this a sticky ;)

CATEGORY ONE water losses originate from a clean water source that affects A CLEAN NEAT AND TIDY HOME. For example if a basement supply line leaks the water travels through the dog poop on the floor that the homeowners were too lazy to pick up, is that a cat 1 loss? How clean were the floors that got affected by the "clean water"? There is more to determining the category of the loss besides where the water originated from.

CATEGORY TWO water losses are approximately 75% of all losses based on my experience. Cat 2 losses include sump pump failures, toilet overflows, dishwasher discharge, and washing machine overflows just to name a few. But like others have mentioned category 1 losses can and usually do degrade to a cat 2 loss. Again look beyond where the water originated from because other factors including indoor temperatures, air circulation, and cleanliness of the indoor structure help determine what category of water you are dealing with. Cat 2 water losses usually require a disinfectant to be applied to affected surfaces.

CATEGORY THREE water losses are grossly contaminated and require the use of PPE ( personal protective equipment ) and an AFD ( air filtration device ). Cat 3 losses require removal of contaminated porous building materials such as drywall, carpet, carpet cushion etc. although for the life of me I can't understand why you don't have to remove wood structural members?? Different topic for different day. Cat 3 losses usually require HWE ( hot water extraction ) and the use of a disinfectant on affected surfaces.

CATEGORY FOUR water losses are specialty losses that if you are a newbie and you're dealing with this then I assure you that you are incapable of handling this and you should exit stage left. And yes for you other responders there is a category 4. Category 4 losses are water losses that are mixed with fuel oils, oil or any other "out of the ordinary" chemical that is mixed into the water. These losses require environmental waste hauling companies. After removal of chemically contaminated water the loss is treated like a category 3 loss but requires MUCH more cleaning after removal of contaminated building materials.

In conclusion the IICRC S500 guide for water damage restoration is just that, A GUIDE. Usually it is a minimum guideline to be followed. For example in construction building codes are a minimum guideline. The best builders go way above and beyond minimum guidelines as do the best water damage restoration companies. Before everyone asks yes I am a licensed builder in the state of Michigan and just had to do 21 hours of CE ( continuing education ) credits to maintain my licensed status. I am a master water damage restorer, master fire damage restorer, and journeyman textile cleaner. IICRC registrant ID 118542.
Exactly right. CAT 1 to CAT 2 depending on what the water ran through. Also, in my experience we've had to deteriorate to CAT 2 alot because of duration of time water sat before we arrived.